Many of us who come home after travelling aboard, especially after an extended trip, tend to suffer Culture Shock when arriving back in your home country. It’s an uneasy feeling that can hound one for days or even weeks.
I call this Culture Shock phenomenon ‘I’m Home, But Not At Home’ Syndrome. You just don’t feel quite right!
I have suffered this syndrome as well numerous times, but I have been able to identify the symptoms of Culture Shock and try to flush the travel bug out of my system – unsuccessfully.
The Culture Shock Signs
Anyway, here are the Top 10 Signs That You’re Suffering Culture Shock After Coming Home From Travelling:
- You’re amazed that cars actually stop at pedestrian crossings, and such crossings are not there solely for decoration. You are doubly amazed that no one tries to run you down when you actually do cross the pedestrian crossing.
- You can’t quite stop haggling with shop assistants for a ‘special price’.
- Sit down toilets are a real novelty. Throwing used toilet paper into the toilet bowl is an even bigger novelty.
- Automatic teller machines seem magnitudes more efficient at dishing out your money, every time you request it.
- Not having a backpack on feels un-natural.
- Everyone looks like a millionaire compared to where you just arrived from.
- Drinking water out of a tap without contracting a malicious stomach bug seems foreign.
- Restaurants specialising in another country’s cuisine produce food that’s nowhere near as good as that from a street van in the country you have just visited.
- You start talking in your native accent again because no one understands you when you talk without one. And finally:
- You want to hop on the next plane out of here.
How about you – what other symptoms of Culture Shock have you experienced when you have returned home from abroad?
Place your suggestions by leaving a comment about Culture Shock!
More Culture Shock Stuff
I might even need to consult CultureShock! Australia: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette the next time I come home from travelling!
Other dodgy Travel Tips you can take no notice of besides these Culture Shock ones – The 10 Commandments of Tight Arse and Luxury Travel, the reality of Travel Brochures, and learn about Travel Personalities.